Millions of people around the world eat oranges every day, because they know that these citrus fruits are delicious and useful, so in this article we will look at what useful properties an orange has, who it is contraindicated, its caloric content and vitamin composition.
What vitamins are contained in an orange? Orange composition
Oranges are useful for our health due to the high content of vitamins, microelements and useful substances that are important for the life of the body.
Each orange contains the following vitamins: C (about 53 mg, which is equal to more than half of the daily norm for a person), as well as vitamins A, B1, B2.
Oranges are also high in important trace elements and minerals, such as potassium, magnesium, calcium, copper, sodium, phosphorus, fluorine, and manganese.
100 grams of orange contain: about 85 grams of water, 8 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of protein, 0.25 grams of fat and 1.3 grams of acids.
The calorie content of 100 g of orange is 47 kcal (which is equal to the average weight of a small orange, 1 piece).
Oranges are very useful for the human body, the main thing is to know the measure of their use, so let’s consider the useful and medicinal properties of an orange.
Benefits and harms of orange for the human body
- As everyone knows, due to the high content of vitamin C in orange fruits, it is very useful for strengthening the immune system, for fighting the body against viral and colds.
- The balanced content of minerals and vitamins in orange helps strengthen bone tissues.
- Oranges are useful for the cardiovascular system, help remove excess cholesterol from the blood, and have a positive effect on blood pressure in the human body.
- The use of oranges has a positive effect on the work of the nervous system, strengthens it.
- Oranges are a natural remedy for constipation.
- Eating oranges helps to raise the overall tone of the body in the fight against fatigue.
- An important useful feature of orange is its preventive effect on the development of cancer cells in the body (in the fight against them). Red or Sicilian orange is especially useful in this case.
- Useful substances in orange help to remove harmful substances from the human body (for example, nitrates).
- Oranges reduce the risk of stomach ulcers.
- The use of orange helps to rejuvenate the entire body, and helps with weight loss.
- The benefits of orange for men are expressed in its positive effect on the production of healthy and high-quality sperm.
- Orange is useful for maintaining the health of the oral cavity.
- Oranges help to raise the appetite and work of the human digestive system.
An interesting fact: when you eat a ripe fresh orange, there is no need to remove and throw out the white partitions, separating them from the pulp, because they are also very useful and contain more pectin than the fruit pulp.
Useful properties of orange oil
Orange oil has a positive effect on health, helps to cope with bleeding gums, is useful for vision, has a calming and stimulating effect on the nervous system.
Essential oils from oranges are very popular and are used in aromatherapy (they have a relaxing effect on the human body), as well as in cosmetology (for example, it is used for making strengthening hair masks, as well as for making face masks).
A popular question is, can I use orange essential oil during pregnancy? Answer: Yes! Orange essential oil is one of the few that can be used in such an important period of a woman’s life.
Use of orange peels
The orange peel (zest) contains much more vitamin C than the zest, so the use of orange peel is useful for the human body.
No less important is the content of pectin (polysaccharide) in the orange peel, which is useful for the gastrointestinal tract, while due to its low calorie content and ability to quickly saturate the body, orange peel is useful and recommended for weight loss.
Important: when growing modern oranges, as well as when delivering them to retail outlets around the world, many oranges are specially treated with chemicals to increase their shelf life, keep them from harmful microorganisms and pests, so the orange peel can be harmful, due to such chemical treatments, and before eating it, it must be thoroughly cleaned and washed.
Candied fruit, jam, and tinctures are made from orange peels, which are not only delicious, but also useful (especially in winter).
How is orange useful for women?
The rich composition of trace elements and vitamins in orange is useful for women’s health. The use of orange contributes to overall health, rejuvenation of the body and charging the immune system.
Oranges are useful for pregnant women, as they help strengthen the body of the future mother, are a fairly mild laxative, remove toxins from the body, and also prevent the appearance of birth defects in the child.
These citrus fruits are widely known in cosmetology. Oranges are used as part of various masks for the face and body, on the basis of its components, various creams are made (useful primarily for dry skin). Oranges are also useful for diets, they are low-calorie, but useful for maintaining vitamin balance in the body of women and girls.
Harmful properties of orange and contraindications to use
When eating oranges every day, it is important to know the measure, not to eat too much, especially on an empty stomach, and it is also useful to know what are the contraindications to the use of orange:
- Individual intolerance to orange is possible, as well as the occurrence of allergic reactions
- Careful with the use of orange should be people who have an ulcer (stomach, duodenum), as well as gastritis.
- Frequent ingestion of oranges in large quantities can harm the tooth enamel, may increase the sensitivity of the teeth.
In conclusion, it should be noted that the useful properties of orange do not hurt to know everyone, as it is one of the most common citrus fruits sold in almost every grocery store. Oranges are useful for both adults and children, the main thing is to know the measure.