This seasoning is popular on the kitchen, while the plant looks nondescript, some weed it out in their beds and throw it away due to the fact that mustard is considered a weed. Someone likes this spice, someone does not like it, in any case, it is very common in most countries, but not everyone suspects what is the harm and benefit of mustard for the body, as well as how much spice per day is safe for health, all this will be described in this article.
Mustard: Useful Properties and Contraindications
The vitamin and mineral composition of the plant is rich in useful and nutritious substances, but it is necessary to pay attention to the seeds, which contain a large amount of fatty oil (about 50%) and about 3% essential, while sunflower oil is inferior to the taste of mustard. The leaves contain the following components:
- Vitamins – fat-soluble (beta-carotene, retinol, and others) and water-soluble (ascorbic acid and B vitamins);
- Minerals-zinc, potassium, copper, and many others;
- Proteins (3.7 g);
- Water (83.7 g);
- Fat (3.34 g);
- Ash (3.7 g);
- Carbohydrates (of 5.83 g);
- Dietary fiber;
Despite the variety of spice varieties, their nutritional value and chemical composition are virtually identical. The presence of vitamins, the main of which are groups B and E, determines the useful properties of mustard, which also contains a decent percentage of mineral salts.
Calorie content of mustard
The energy value of the plant directly depends on the species. If fresh mustard contains 162 kcal and seeds contain 474 kcal, then the prepared product contains 67 kcal as a spice. However, the spice is used as an additional “dish”, so it will not be able to saturate the body with the necessary daily caloric requirement.
Next, we will find out whether it is useful to eat mustard, and in which cases it is desirable to abandon the use of this product.
Benefits of mustard for the body of women and men
This product is a unique medicinal product that is used in both official and folk medicine and has a beneficial effect on the body:
- The plant’s ability to increase appetite has long been known, it promotes better digestion of food and breaks down fats, thanks to this, metabolism is accelerated and salivation is improved, constipation and flatulence are eliminated;
- For colds, the spice helps to increase blood circulation in the body, which is useful during coughs, laryngitis, and prolonged runny nose;
- Use patches or compresses from spices during the treatment of rheumatism, arthrosis, neuralgia, while improving blood circulation and reducing pain;
- The obvious benefit of the condiments and for the nervous system, its use prevents the destruction of nerve cells and promotes improved memory, increased intelligence;
- For those who want to get rid of unnecessary pounds, the product will help to lose weight as a result of the presence of b vitamins, which accelerate the process of weight loss, it is also recommended to make masks and wraps with the addition of mustard, which will help to tighten the body and remove cellulite;
- Mustard powder is used by women to strengthen hair, eliminate dandruff, and stimulate hair growth;
- Spice is considered an aphrodisiac, has a beneficial effect on male potency, and the female sex is used to cure infertility and other gynecological diseases, that’s what mustard is useful for;
- Due to the presence of phytonutrients in the structure of spice seeds, its use helps protect the digestive tract from cancer, while reducing the growth of existing pathogenic cells and preventing the formation of new ones;
- The content of nicotinic acid in the product helps to reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood and protect blood vessels from the formation of blood clots;
- Sulfur, which is part of the seasoning, helps fight many skin diseases.
How much mustard can you eat a day without harming your health?
You do not need to abuse the spice, because mustard is not a basic product. An adult will need no more than a couple of teaspoons daily, of course in the absence of an allergic reaction. It is advisable for a child under 12 not to offer such a product.
Harm of mustard to human health and contraindications to its use
The spice is sharp, it contains so many active substances that excessive use can harm the body. External use of the spice can lead to a burn on the skin, the occurrence of an allergic reaction, then you should refuse to use this product. It is not necessary to take mustard with:
- Exacerbation of digestive diseases (gastritis, colitis, pancreatitis);
During pregnancy, it is forbidden to make compresses and baths using the product, this can help increase the tone of the uterus, which will lead to a miscarriage. When breast-feeding, it is worth introducing mustard into your diet after the baby is 7 months old, since earlier introduction will provoke colic, flatulence and even rejection of the baby from the breast.
Mustard is an indispensable spice for almost everyone on the table, if you do not abuse it and take into account all contraindications, then the seasoning will be a good support for the healthy functioning of the body.