This berry is one of the most delicious, it is used for cooking a variety of dishes, in addition, blueberries are considered very useful, which is why it is a sweet treat, and an excellent healing product. Next, we will find out what is the harm and benefit of blueberries for health, as well as the abundance of which components causes a positive effect on the human body.
Composition and nutritional value of blueberries
Blueberries have a rich chemical composition, which contains the following elements:
- Sugar (glucose, fructose, a small percentage of sucrose);
- Organic acids (citric acid predominates, there are also Apple, maleic, and in unripe berries – oxalic);
- Tanning, nitrogenous and coloring substances;
- Vitamins (A, B1, C, B6 and others);
- Mineral compounds (potassium, magnesium, copper, etc.);
- Carbohydrates-7.6 g;
- Proteins-1.1 g;
- Fat – 0.6 g;
The berries contain iron, which is absorbed better than iron medicines, this is due to the presence of ascorbic acid and the rest of the complex of compounds necessary for the body, so the benefits of blueberries for the human body are obvious.
Due to the presence of tanning substances, the healing and useful qualities of berries are determined, while as a result of the content of sugars and organic acids, blueberries have such an unusual sweet and sour taste.
Interesting fact: berries are dominated by antioxidants, which they contain much more, compared with apples and cauliflower.
Calorie content of blueberries
Despite the presence of sugar and sweet taste, blueberries-a unique dietary product containing a meager number of calories (only 44 kcal), however, it contains such a percentage of fiber that the berry is compared with black bread.
This low energy value of these fruits allows them to be used as an additional ingredient in any diet menu, while they contain enough proteins, carbohydrates, mineral salts and vitamins.
Benefits of blueberries for women and men
You can select the following useful properties of blueberries:
- The antioxidant effect of fruits is explained by the content of anthocyanins, which have the ability to prevent the development of malignant tumors, destroying the source of their occurrence;
- Systematic use of shrub fruits activates the restoration of retinal tissue and stimulation of blood circulation in the eye, this helps to improve the eye’s habituation to darkness, relieve fatigue of the eye muscles and increase the field of vision due to the rich content of caratinoids. This quality of berries is very valuable for chicken blindness, conjunctivitis, myopia of various degrees, and even retinal detachment, but it is necessary to remember that blueberry fruits are effective only in the complex treatment of eye diseases;
- Regular intake of berries improves metabolic processes due to vitamin B5, and dietary fiber, also found in this shrub, helps to better clean the intestines from free radicals and toxins that lead to the destruction of the body and accelerate aging, that’s what the benefits of blueberries;
- This berry allows you to eliminate the symptoms of stomach diseases and colitis, diarrhea (dried fruits), constipation (fresh fruits) as a result of the disinfectant effect of its components on the digestive tract;
- Due to its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial action, berries are recommended for liver pathology, rheumatism, headaches, as well as for relieving painful signs of colds and inflammatory processes in the respiratory system;
- The antimicrobial property of blueberries is due to phytoncides, which have a destructive effect on Staphylococcus, dysentery Bacillus and other pathogens of dangerous diseases;
- When asked whether frozen blueberries are useful, you can confidently give a positive answer, because when frozen, all the healing elements remain in it, so such blueberries are used on a par with fresh ones;
- The fruits of the plant have a positive effect on the pancreas due to the presence of anthocyanin glycoside in them, which reduces the level of sugar in the blood and regulates the work of this gland;
- On the basis of blueberries, medicines are manufactured that are used to strengthen the immune system, prevent the development of pathologies of the cardiovascular system;
- The use of berries helps regulate the menstrual cycle, normalize the functioning of the reproductive system, that’s what blueberries are useful for a woman’s body;
- Fruits have a beneficial effect on bones and joints due to the presence of large amounts of magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus;
- Supplementing the diet with blueberries helps reduce the likelihood of a heart attack, heart attack, stroke, reduce the rate of harmful cholesterol, and strengthen vascular walls;
- Berries have a positive effect on the lymphatic system, contribute to the resorption of blood clots and stabilize the glands.
Cosmetics based on blueberries have a complex effect on the skin of the face, rejuvenating, getting rid of various cosmetic imperfections, restoring the skin’s natural velvety.
Medicinal properties of blueberry leaves for human health
In addition to berries healing qualities are inherent in the leaves of the plant:
- A decoction of them is excellent for treating throat and cough due to its antiseptic and antibiotic properties;
- When hemorrhoids and pink lichen perfectly treat compresses from decoctions of leaves;
- Broth from the leaves has a positive effect on the heart and blood vessels, and thanks to the diaphoretic and anti-inflammatory function, they are actively used during colds and flu;
- In recent studies, a unique compound oxycumarin was found in the leaves of the plant, which has the ability to slow down the process of blood clotting, which is very important for varicose veins and heart attacks, because then the probability of forming clots and blood clots in the veins decreases.
In principle, the leaves of the plant have almost the same beneficial effect as the fruits. But mostly they are used for various skin lesions, for which they prepare a tincture on the leaves, and our ancestors used them as tea leaves. This tea reduces appetite, blood sugar and has a tonic effect.
It is recommended to collect leaves during the flowering period of the plant because of the maximum concentration of useful elements at this time, then they should be carefully dried and spread out in polyethylene bags.
Did you know that in ancient times, blueberries were considered a talisman, dried berries were put under the Mat near the door to protect the house from evil spirits and other people’s negative energy.
Harmful properties of blueberries and contraindications to its use
Despite such an abundance of positive properties of the shrub, blueberries can harm the body in the following diseases:
- Urolithiasis, pancreatitis;
- Pathology of the pancreas;
- Poor blood clotting.
When picking berries in ecologically dirty places, it should be borne in mind that berries have the property of accumulating harmful compounds, especially radioactive radiation, so it is better to grow it on your site or buy it from trusted sellers. Good berries are rich in color, do not have spots and smell.
Joint use of blueberries and strawberries (raspberries, strawberries) can provoke an upset stomach, it is desirable to use no more than 0.5 kg per day.
Thus, having considered the useful properties of blueberries and contraindications to the use of berries, we can say that this amazing berry is a powerful drug, and it is necessary to take into account all the restrictions when using it.