For those who are familiar with dry lip skin, it is often not a laughing matter ‒ active facial expressions and articulation bring painful sensations, the skin flakes and cracks, and the lips look extremely unattractive. Masking the flaw under a thick layer of lipstick, many women only aggravate the skin condition. To restore the healthy appearance of your lips and stop being shy about your smile, you need to determine the cause of the unpleasant defect, exclude the presence of possible diseases and immediately start treatment.
Causes of dry lips
The skin of the lips is thin and sensitive in its structure. Its condition and appearance depend on many factors. Let’s take a closer look at the most basic causes of dry lips:
- Violations in the body. Infections, viruses, gastrointestinal diseases, hormonal failures, Hypo-and hypervitaminosis, intoxication, and a tendency to allergies are the first things to pay attention to. If the problem is of a regular nature, contact your doctor: only a qualified specialist will make the correct diagnosis, send you to the necessary examinations and prescribe an effective course of treatment.
- Adverse weather conditions. Especially strongly the skin suffers during the cold season-from October to April. Going out into the cold and wind from heated rooms with dry air, we expose the skin to sharp temperature changes that provoke dry lips, the appearance of small cracks and peeling. After a long stay in the sun and tanning in the Solarium, additional skin care is also required.
- Pernicious habits. During Smoking, the natural moisture of the skin remains on the cigarette. By the way, the habits of licking, biting and touching the lips with your hands fall into the category of “harmful” ones. To prevent dry skin and infection in the cracks, you need to more carefully control your actions, especially unconscious ones.
- Poor diet. Everyone knows that there is a daily rate of consumption of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, micro-and macronutrients. Unbalanced and unsystematic nutrition leads to the fact that the body is experiencing a deficit of nutrients (in particular, a lack of vitamins b, A and E) and signals a failure, which manifests itself in the form of skin defects. Also, do not abuse too cold, hot, spicy, salty and acidic food ‒ it irritates the skin of the lips.
- Insufficient water consumption. Based on the obvious facts, we can say that the cause of dryness is a lack of water. As a prevention of dehydration, you should drink at least 2 liters of water a day. Important note: we are talking exclusively about pure still water; juices, drinks with dyes, tea and coffee are not considered in this case.
- Decorative cosmetic. Poor-quality lipsticks not only cause aesthetic and physical discomfort on the lips, but can also provoke a strong allergic reaction. Today, persistent matte lipsticks are very popular, but they create a dense crust on the surface of the lips, which dries the lips. When the first signs of dryness, peeling and cracks appear, you should avoid using lipsticks and glosses until the healthy skin condition is completely restored.
Ways of treatment
- Cosmetic procedure. If experts have ruled out the presence of possible diseases and the problem is purely external, then the easiest and most effective way to eliminate dry skin of the lips is to contact a cosmetologist. After a thorough examination and consultation, as well as in the absence of contraindications, the patient is offered effective injection techniques. It is not necessary to change the shape and volume of the lips: biorevitalization based on hyaluronic acid or microinjection using a light filler will help to achieve deep hydration and start the process of skin regeneration at the cellular level. In more complex cases, for example, when there are bites in the corners of the mouth, or cheilitis, it is recommended to use a dense preparation based on hyaluronic acid ‒ this will help get rid of traces of herpes and return the lips to a healthy appearance, clear contour and shape. Antiherpetic agents before and after the procedure significantly reduce the risk of recurrence of the disease.
- Home care. The first aid that we can provide on our own is to give up bad habits, drink more clean still water, add more fruits, vegetables, cereals and nuts to your diet, and purchase a humidifier for indoor use. Sensitive lip skin needs regular protection and gentle care. Before making a course on home care, it is better to consult a specialist first. Medical ointments, creams, balms and lipsticks should be purchased at a pharmacy. Carefully read the label: the composition should not include questionable components that cause allergies and dry the skin. As a care, you can use nourishing and moisturizing masks designed specifically for dry lip skin. For additional nutrition, it is recommended to apply vitamins A, E and nourishing oils (almond, Shea butter, wheat germ) to the lips ‒ they soothe, protect the skin and stimulate cell regeneration. On the Internet, recipes for masks based on fresh fruits and berries are often found, but such ingredients can strongly irritate vulnerable skin. Rough scrubs (ground coffee, apricot seeds, sugar, salt) are traumatic, and in the presence of open wounds and cracks, aggressive mechanical action is unacceptable. If the skin is infected with a virus and the corners of the mouth are jammed, then self-treatment and removal of the formed crusts can only aggravate the skin condition, so do not delay a visit to the doctor.