Almost everyone knows about the benefits of garlic, it is popular in the kitchens of many countries, so let’s consider what garlic is good for and how it is harmful to the human body, what is useful in it, how to choose it correctly when buying and how to eat correctly in everyday nutrition.
What is garlic useful for the human body and what it contains
Since ancient times, garlic has been known not only as a good aromatic seasoning for many dishes and as a separate useful product, it was valued for its medicinal properties, thanks to its unique medicinal composition. Even today, garlic continues to be used in folk medicine as an effective tool for the treatment and prevention of certain diseases, but it is necessary to know
Garlic contains vitamins such as C, A, B6, B1, B2, B3, B5, B9, as well as useful trace elements such as calcium, potassium, phosphorus, selenium, magnesium, sodium, zinc, iron, and manganese. Also very useful is the essential oil of garlic-allicin, which is a powerful antioxidant.
The caloric content of garlic is 149 calories per 100 grams of product.
Useful properties of garlic for the human body
- When used wisely, garlic helps strengthen the human immune system and strengthen its protective functions.
- Medicinal properties of garlic is its antiviral effect, it helps our body fight colds and is a good helper for the prevention of such diseases. Its constituent phytocides are most active in the spring and help in the fight against many bacteria and fungi (for example, Staphylococcus, diphtheria coli).
- Garlic is useful for the human cardiovascular system, has a positive effect on lowering cholesterol levels in the blood, is useful for high blood pressure, and reduces the risk of blood clots in the blood vessels.
- The healing properties of garlic include prevention of the appearance and development of cancer. According to a study by scientists, if smokers eat 2 times a week for 1 clove of garlic, the risk of cancer is reduced by a third.
- Since ancient times, garlic has been used in folk medicine to remove worms. To do this, use garlic with milk in the form of an enema.
- If the level of hemoglobin in the blood is low, a decoction of garlic with honey is used.
- Garlic stimulates the secretion of bile and improves the digestion of fatty foods, so it is often added to fatty meat dishes.
- In folk medicine, such a healing property of garlic as the treatment of warts is valued.
Note: the beneficial properties of garlic appear only when it is used fresh, and after heat treatment or drying, garlic loses almost all its benefits and medicinal properties. Regular consumption of just a few grams of garlic reduces the likelihood of prostate cancer by 50%.
Benefits of garlic for men
Among the many useful properties of garlic for men, you can highlight its beneficial effect on potency, and it is also used for the treatment of prostatitis.
Garlic is also useful for athletes, especially when gaining muscle mass, since it blocks the action of cortisol and stimulates the production of testosterone.
How is garlic useful for a woman's body?
First of all, the use of garlic is useful for women in order to prevent the appearance of breast and uterine cancer, it is also a good helper for the overall strengthening of the immune system.
High benefits of garlic and hair, it helps to strengthen the hair roots when applied externally.
Can garlic be harmful? Contraindications to the use of garlic
Many people have an Association with garlic that it is only useful for the human body, but in fact it has many contraindications and can be harmful to our health:
- People who have problems with excess weight should be careful about eating garlic, as it increases the appetite.
- Garlic is harmful to the stomach, liver and kidneys in large quantities, since its constituent substances can corrode the gastric mucosa, irritate its walls (the same effect on the kidneys and liver).
- Garlic is contraindicated for people with diseases such as stomach ulcers and duodenal ulcers, gastritis, hemorrhoids, kidney and liver diseases, and epilepsy.
- It is not recommended to use garlic for women during pregnancy and breast-feeding.
- The use of garlic, even in small quantities, has a negative effect on the brain, increases inattention and distraction, reduces the reaction rate several times, and may cause a slight headache.
- Garlic can cause allergic reactions in the human body.
Drawing conclusions from the above-described harmful properties of garlic, we can say that absolutely everyone needs to pay attention to the use of garlic in its raw form, as well as in salads and other dishes, since the constant use of it in food may have negative consequences for the body.
How much garlic can I eat a day?
For a healthy adult, it is enough to eat 1-2 garlic cloves a day to maintain immunity and prevent various diseases. The maximum dose of 3-5 cloves of fresh garlic per day, as there may be negative consequences for the human body.
How to get rid of the unpleasant smell of garlic from the mouth after eating it?
The problem of the appearance of an unpleasant and pronounced smell from the mouth, after you eat even 1 clove of garlic, is known to everyone, while even mint chewing gum and fragrant candies do not help to remove the smell.
The most effective way to get rid of the unpleasant smell of garlic from the mouth is milk (it is drunk after eating garlic, and also rinsed the mouth), since the fats that are part of it help to break down the substances from garlic, from which there is such a smell, while they are not digested in our body. Lemon, parsley, or cardamom seeds can also help freshen your breath after garlic.
To prevent the hands from smelling of garlic, they are first rubbed with ordinary salt, then washed in normal warm water.
How to choose garlic when buying?
Choose garlic in the store or on the market is quite simple, the main thing to pay attention to such signs of ripe and high-quality garlic:
- Do not buy garlic heads that have started to sprout.
- To the touch, the garlic should be firm and dry, and do not miss when pressed.
- The garlic should not have moisture, if it is, then it has started to deteriorate or it is not properly stored and will soon begin to deteriorate.
In conclusion to this article, it can be noted that knowledge of what garlic is useful for human health, and especially what are the contraindications to its use and knowledge of its harmful properties, will help you properly use this valuable product to maintain your health, as well as for medicinal purposes.