One of the most common and loved by many spices is cinnamon, but not everyone knows what its benefits and harms, so let’s look at the useful properties of cinnamon and contraindications for use, how it is useful for men and women, as well as how it grows, how it is made and stored at home.
What is useful for cinnamon? The composition of spices
The wide popularity of cinnamon is primarily due to its pleasant and unusual aroma. it is widely used for cooking various dishes, sweets, baking, as well as in the production of perfumes, Soaps and cosmetics. Since ancient times, also known and useful properties of cinnamon due to its content of many useful substances, as well as a beneficial effect on human health.
The composition of cinnamon includes vitamins such as, A, C, B6, B12, D, as well as trace elements such as calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, and sodium.
Calorie content of cinnamon
Calorific value of cinnamon is 247 calories per 100 grams of product, consequently, the caloric content of a teaspoon of ground cinnamon is about 20 calories, and calorie cinnamon sticks (weight 4 grams) is only 10 calories.
Benefits (useful properties) of cinnamon for the human body
- Cinnamon is useful for the human cardiovascular system, is a good preventive measure against the occurrence of a heart attack (especially in the elderly), helps to strengthen the heart muscle and normalize blood pressure.
- Studies by many scientists have proven that cinnamon is useful for diabetes, it helps lower blood sugar and cholesterol.
- Cinnamon is useful for the liver and kidneys, helps to clean them and remove excess fluid from the body.
- The use of cinnamon has a positive effect on the nervous system, helps fight depression, anxiety and insomnia, and improves memory.
- In folk medicine, warm drinks with ground cinnamon are advised to use for colds and Flu, as they can increase sweating, facilitate breathing and relieve swelling of the nasal mucosa with a strong cold, help strengthen the weakened immune system.
- Cinnamon has a cleansing effect on the human body, promotes the removal of harmful substances and toxins.
- Cinnamon powder is used in the fight against bad breath, for this you can rinse your mouth with a solution of cinnamon and honey every morning (a teaspoon of cinnamon + a teaspoon of honey + 1 glass of water).
- Cinnamon is useful for increased gas formation in the stomach (useful for people suffering from flatulence), helps to remove bloating and unpleasant sensations in the stomach.
- In folk medicine, cinnamon is used to fight diarrhea and stomach disorders.
- Cinnamon has good antiseptic properties, it is used for gargling for sore throats, and cinnamon oil can remove irritation from the skin and is used in various ointments and creams.
Medicinal and useful properties of cinnamon for women
- Benefits of cinnamon for women’s health. In addition to the General strengthening of the entire body and the immune system, cinnamon is recommended to use to relieve pain during menstrual cycles.
- Benefits of cinnamon for weight loss. Cinnamon is widely used in many diets for weight loss, as it well increases the metabolism in the body and does not allow fat to be absorbed, promotes their rapid excretion from the body. When losing weight, honey with cinnamon and kefir with cinnamon are very popular, since they are quite tasty, well saturate the body with useful vitamins and trace elements and in this combination are most effective in fighting excess weight.
- The use of cinnamon for hair. Since ancient times, women have used ground cinnamon to prepare useful hair masks that can strengthen, stimulate growth, restore and maintain healthy hair from the roots to the tips. On the web, you can find many recipes for making a hair mask with cinnamon. Also, cinnamon powder is used as a hair dye (for example, cinnamon can lighten brown hair by several tones at a time).
Benefits of cinnamon for men
For men, in addition to the main useful properties of cinnamon, it is important to highlight its effect on the urogenital system. It helps to neutralize many bacteria and fungi, increase potency and maintain men’s health. The use of cinnamon is a preventive measure for the appearance of prostatitis.
Can I give cinnamon to children?
Cinnamon is also useful for children. Use in small doses of this fragrant powder helps to improve the tone of the child’s body, improves concentration and brain activity, helps to strengthen vision, and also helps to strengthen the immune system and increase the resistance of the child’s body to viral diseases.
Important: children under 3 years of age should not be given cinnamon.
Harm of cinnamon and contraindications to use
- First of all, you need to know the measure in the use of cinnamon, since its use in large doses can cause a decline in strength in the body and headaches.
- In the composition of cinnamon, there is also a substance such as coumarin, which negatively affects the human liver (especially if there are problems with liver health or individual intolerance to this substance). Especially high content of coumarin in Cassia (Chinese cinnamon), so it is better to give preference to higher-quality Ceylon cinnamon, which may contain almost 100 times less of this harmful substance.
- It is not recommended to use cinnamon for pregnant women, as well as during breast-feeding.
- It is not advisable to use cinnamon in the presence of gastritis with high acidity, as well as with exacerbation of ulcers in the stomach.
- You should not eat cinnamon during the treatment of various diseases with medications, as this spice can affect their effect.
How to store cinnamon at home
Storing cinnamon at home is not a complicated procedure, the main thing is to make sure that it is stored in a dark place and there is no access of moisture to it. Cinnamon in sticks and powder is best stored in a closed sealed glass container in a lockable locker, so that there is no access to sunlight, while it does not erode (does not lose its flavor over time)
The shelf life of ground cinnamon is on average 6 months, and cinnamon sticks up to 1 year.
Note: cinnamon is sold in stores all year round and there is no need to buy it in large quantities, the more fresh and high-quality cinnamon, the more it is fragrant and has more useful properties.
Which part of the cinnamon tree becomes spicy?
The so-called cinnamon sticks, which are later used to make cinnamon powder, are actually dried bark of the cinnamon tree from the Laurel family.